Thursday, May 3, 2007

Martha Stewart Show Thoughts

I'm back from the taping, and I actually had quite a lot of fun although there was a lot of waiting time. I arrived at 12:15 and the actual taping itself didn't start until 2:30. That was okay though, we had yummy cookies for refreshment and I spent the time catching up with some of my Meetup buddies that I hadn't seen in months. We all brought along our scrapbooks since they were scanning some of them to be shown on the show, and browsing through everyone's work, I realized how talented everyone is. I wish that I could devote more time to scrapbooking so that I can really progress and take it to the next level.

My work actually got chosen for a closeup shot on the show - so look for me & it on May 7th. Personally, I didn't think that they chose my best pieces for the shot, but hey I'm on TV so I guess I can't complain. Here are the layouts they showed:


We also got some free stuff - which is of course welcome. Personally, my thoughts on MS's scrapbooking line is that it's too expensive, and a bit dull. But hey, I'm never one to turn down free stuff.

We got a leaf hole punch, a shadow box, and some nice journaling pens:

I'm actually really in love with the journaling pens - the colors and the fact that they are only 0.1 mm tips. If you know me, you'll know that I love love love fine tip pens. Plus they've got a really nice weight to them that makes my handwriting look prettier.
My only gripe with the show was that Martha was so obviously not a scrapbooking aficionado, not matter how much she protested that she was. She is not good with crafts, as has been shown on her show several times previously, but also - I cannot believe that she didn't take the time to learn, or someone on her staff didn't take the time to prep her on the lingo. She referred to cardstock as "construction paper", a hole punch as "paper cutting tool thing" and foam adhesive as "sponge like tape that makes your paper pop up". You would think that since they took the time to specifically invite scrapbookers to be the audience for this series of shows, that they would give the appropriate amount of attention to the craft itself.
Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive - but I can definitely see how her actions are going to end up alienating a lot of the current scrapbooking community and deter them from buying any of her products. But perhaps what they are counting on is drawing a bunch of new people to the craft who don't realize that.

No comments: